Do you know where your clothes came from? Where were they made? And, who made them? What’s in your closet? Check your labels sometime and see if you can recreate the path from maker to you…
The fashion industry and our addiction to new clothes causes great stress on our world…. In response to that, there are many counter movements of slow fashion and ethical wear that address and help us work towards a solution. Steps to take:
Make your own clothes
If you don’t know how, learn! I have sewn for years and am learning how to knit. I just started on my first sweater and it is such a feeling of accomplishment to watch it grow. Thousands of stitches slowly turning into cloth…
Buying second hand clothing keeps them out of the waste cycle. You can alter, dye, and repair clothing creatively to give them new life.
Support other Makers
Yes, you will spend more when you buy from artists, designers and fair trade groups, but you will have something unique and you will know the story behind what you are wearing. So, when asked, “What’s in your closet?”, you will be able to tell an interesting story!
We have some pretty amazing fashion choices to offer here on Artizan Made! Click on the images below to visit their shops:
- All Products, Accessories, Belts, Fair Trade, Textiles, Weaving, Cotton, Woven, Americas, GuatemalaBackstrap woven embroidered womens belts one of a kind. Click on the Visit our Website button to see what we have in stock.$35.00 Shop: MayaMamWeavers
- All Products, To Wear, Clothing, Tops, Jackets, Niche, Kids, Clothing - Babies, Kids, Teens, Fair Trade, Folk Art, Textiles, Tribal Art, Weaving, Elements, Black, Boho, White, Materials, Fiber, Synthetic, Method, Sewn, Provenance, Asia, TajikistanThis smart one-of-a-kind crepe de chine kimono jacket will make you stand out from the crowd, whether you're wearing jeans or a dramatic evening gown. Made from a lightweight synthetic crepe de chine with a silk-like feel, the lovely drape of this jacket is a flattering style for all body types and most sizes. Clicking on the "Visit Shop" button will take you to the HoonArts Fair Trade shop where you can purchase this item and see what other one-of-a-kind and small artist's edition treasures are currently in stock.$90.00 Shop: HoonArts Fair Trade
- All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Shawls, Wraps, Niche, Fair Trade, Textiles, Weaving, Elements, Beach, Resort, Water, Purple, Rustic, Zen, Materials, Cotton, Method, Woven, Provenance, Americas, GuatemalaThe MayaMam Weavers handwoven shawls and wraps are woven in two complementary colors, making them versatile as each side looks different. Elegant and comfortable, they are perfect for chilly outings or relaxing at home. Scarves and shawls also look great on tables, beds and walls, so get creative!$44.00 Shop: MayaMamWeavers
- All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Nature, Pink, Yellow, Fiber, Silk, Dyed, Sewn, Provenance, USAChannel Florida when you throw this triangle scarf over your outfit. Handmade using the Itajime Shibori method of resisting fabric and dyeing with fiber reactive dyes.Clicking on the Shop on Etsy button will take you to my listing there where you can purchase this item and see what else is in stock.$45.00 Shop: Dianne Koppisch
- All Products, To Wear, Clothing, Dress, Niche, For Women, Elements, Beach, Resort, Water, Blue, Boho, Materials, Silk, Method, Dyed, Sewn, Provenance, Americas, USABlue Twilight Itajime Shibori Hand-Dyed Tight Twisted Seersucker Silk DressThis delicious raspberry butterscotch silk charmeuse infinity scarf was created by hand-dyeing with acid dyes utilizing the itajime method of shibori resist. It is the perfect addition to your next afternoon brunch outfit! Diameter 56″ x Width 15″Clicking on the Shop on Etsy button will take you to my listing there where you can purchase this item and see what else is in stock.$210.00 Shop: Dianne Koppisch
- All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Pink, Shabby Chic, Zen, Silk, Dyed, Sewn, Provenance, USABlend into your garden when you tie this around your neck. Made of stone-washed silk crepe, it is smooth, light and a delightful addition to an outfit.Clicking on the Shop on Etsy button will take you to my listing there where you can purchase this item and see what else is in stock.$45.00 Shop: Dianne Koppisch
- All Products, Accessories, Scarves, Pink, Materials, Silk, Wool, Method, Knitted, Provenance, USA$150.00 Shop: Yarndance
Spring Fling Infinity ScarfInfinity scarf in lightweight merino wool in spring shades of pinks and greensTemari balls and fine handknits by India Tresselt. www.yarndancevt.com This listing on Artizan Made links over to my shop on Etsy. You will be able to see what I have in stock there.
- All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Hats, Niche, Folk Art, Tribal Art, Vintage, Elements, Dots, Green, Rustic, White, Materials, Cotton, Glass-Material, Method, Beaded, Sewn, Provenance, Asia, AfghanistanAfghan Tribal Arts has been importing from Afghanistan and the region since the 1980's. The focus is on vintage textiles and tribal jewelry as well as new gemstone beads made for jewelry designers. Clicking on the Shop on Etsy button will take you to our shop there where you can see what is currently in stock.$170.00 Shop: Afghan Tribal Arts
- All Products, To Wear, Jewelry, Necklaces, Niche, Elements, Beach, Resort, Water, Dots, Rustic, Shabby Chic, Materials, Cotton, Mixed Media, Method, Beaded, Americas, Colombia, USALina Sofia Valenzuela and her aunt, Lavinia Dow, create whimsical and fun fabric and bead necklaces. Lina Sofia lives in Miami and Lavinia in Colombia. The shop also has earrings and may coordinate with the necklaces.$39.00
- All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Niche, Textiles, Weaving, Pink, Materials, Bamboo, Woven, Provenance, Americas, USAThe bamboo scarves have a beautiful drape, sheen and strength. Mariposa Handwovens, based in Rimrock, Arizona, USA, uses luxurious fibers in all of her work.$130.00
- All Products, To Wear, Jewelry, Necklaces, Niche, For Women, Tribal Art, Vintage, Elements, Grey, Birds, Spirituality, Materials, Silver, Method, Hammered, Provenance, AsiaCulturalPatina maintains a large shop on Etsy with over 800 Museum quality products and original art. Our focus is primarily on American Western art, but we also have a sizable collection on Naga beadwork and textiles, along with other tribal from around the world. Clicking on the 'Shop on Etsy' button will take you to that section of our shop where you can see similar works. If this item has sold, you should be able to find something else of the same quality and price range.$2,500.00 Shop: CulturalPatina Gallery
- All Products, Clothing, Pants, Orange, Pink, White, Synthetic, Dyed, Sewn, USAclick on the VISIT Color Creek button to see what Mary has in stock for colors and sizes$210.00 Shop: ColorCreek
- All Products, To Wear, Pants, Blue, Brown, White, Synthetic, Dyed, Printed, Sewn, USAclick on the VISIT Color Creek button to see what Mary has in stock for colors and sizes$210.00 Shop: ColorCreek
- All Products, To Wear, Footwear, Slippers, Niche, Felt, Elements, Boho, Brown, Rustic, Materials, Wool, Method, Felted, Provenance, Europe, LithuaniaHandmade felt slippers from Lithuania made of natural, organic wool decorated with textures, dyed wool, and other embellishments. Prices range from $55-$105. Click on the Shop on Etsy button to head on over there and make sure to check out our boots and other felted items, too.$69.00