This contest is now over.
Welcome to our July 2016 Green Photo Contest!
Our Artizan Made contests are a regular event on our site. We are now doing a series focused on colors, where the dominant color of the image is the contest theme. Sign up to get our blog posts by email (on the sidebar) if you would like to be notified when the next one goes live. See the past ones here: Photo Contests.
This contest’s theme has to have something handmade in the image and the dominant color of the image needs to be green.
Vintage is allowed.
Get in the mood for green with this fun JibJab video:
A world without green would be a dead one…. We think of Nature, of course, when we talk about green, but there are many other meanings in how we use the word: being eco minded but also, green refers to money, being inexperienced, and envy, while the use of the color carries significance in many religious and social celebrations around the world.
Religious & Mythological Associations With The Color Green
- In several religions, green is the color associated with resurrection and regeneration.
- Green is the color of love associated with both Venus, the Roman goddess and Aphrodite, the Greek goddess.
- The prophet Mohammed wore a green cloak and turban.
- The God of fertility in Celtic myths was associated with green.
- Green is the color associated with Sunday in the Catholic church and the altar cloth is usually green for Sunday services.
- Green is the color that represents Irish-Catholics, while orange represents Irish-Protestants.
See many other interesting tidbits about the color green on Sensational Color.
Focus on Handmade
We want to see Green + Handmade in this contest. A couple of examples:
Show off YOUR green!
Read the Rules!!!
and then scroll down to the contest area.
You are allowed to photoshop your image and make it into art. In other words, you can manipulate the photo in any way you want, but the dominant color of the photo needs to be green, showing something handmade. No collages. (Image needs to be one seamless image.)
1200 pixels square, saved as a jpeg at 72 dpi.
Please make your image square! Images are cropped to a square automatically, so you might lose important visual info if it is a rectangle.
- Anyone is welcome to participate. Each participant can submit two photos.
- You must have the right to the photos you post. (Ex: If you did not take the photo, you must have permission from the photographer to use it, unless you are using a copyright free image to manipulate a photo.) Show off YOUR work!
- We retain the right to delete any photo that is poorly done or inappropriate for a family audience. Please note the size of the image. We will delete blurry and poorly cropped images. Make it nice!
- After submitting the photo, it will be held for approval and then posted on this page.
- There is a text field for a one liner when you submit. You can add more text to the image on Facebook once we post it there.
- Submissions will be added several times a day to this album on our Facebook page: ArtizanMade
- Deadline for submissions: July 23rd, 10PM Central US time.
- Anyone can vote by clicking on the heart on up to ten photos. Just hover and click the heart.
- Help your favorites win by sharing their photos with your peeps.
- Deadline for voting: July 24th, 10PM Central US time
- Winners: First and second places will be determined by the number of votes. If the same person wins twice in a row, the next one will be picked. If there is a tie, both will be given the same place.
- First place winner will be given a one year ad on TAFA: The Textile and Fiber Art List. Second place wins a one month ad.
Contest Starts Here:
The upload link and timer will show up when the contest goes live and then disappear when it is over.
To vote, hover over the image and click on the heart.
Problems? Email rayela @ comcast.net. (remove spaces)
Thank you for participating in our contest! This has been a great way to interact with our community. Our sister site, TAFA: The Textile and Fiber Art List, also holds one photo contest a month with textile/fiber related themes. That is also open to the public and contests are announced on the blog. Contests there start on the 5th of every month.
Artizan Made is a collective of handmade shops. Learn more on our About and Join pages. Most of our shops sell on Etsy, but we also support stand-alone sites. Explore our site, get inspired and support handmade!
Get some GREEN from our new Market!
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Art Dolls and Creatures, Sculpture, Wall Art, Mixed Media Art, Upcycled, Animals, Green, Nature, Cotton, Fiber, Mixed Media, Sewn, USA
Quickview All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Niche, For Women, Elements, Beach-Resort-Water, Blue, Green, Zen, Materials, Silk, Method, Dyed, Sewn, Provenance, Americas, USARita's Striped Brick, Teal, and Emerald Hand Painted and Deconstructed Silk Screen Scarf Satisfy your water ice craving by tossing this shawl over your shoulders. I created this scarf by silkscreening and hand-painting white silk seersucker fabric with thickened fiber reactive dye until I got the results you see here. Length 60" x Width 60" Clicking on the Shop on Etsy button will take you to my listing there where you can purchase this item and see what else is in stock.$160.00 Shop: Dianne Koppisch
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Throws, Niche, Kids, Kid's Bedding, Textiles, Weaving, Elements, Beach-Resort-Water, Green, Stripes, Materials, Wool, Method, Woven, Provenance, Europe, United Kingdom, ScotlandThis Scribble lap throw is handwoven in lambswool and finished with a twisted fringe.$310.00 Shop: Bonny Claith by Cally Booker
Quickview Clothing, Tops, Blue, Green, Yellow, Synthetic, Dyed, Printed, Sewn, Americas, USAclick on the VISIT COLOR CREEK button to see what Mary has in stock for colors and sizes$145.00 Shop: ColorCreek
Quickview All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Shawls, Wraps, Niche, Felt, Fair Trade, Folk Art, Textiles, Tribal Art, Elements, Boho, Green, Materials, Fiber, Silk, Wool, Method, Dyed, Felted, Woven, Provenance, AsiaThis elegant hand-made double-sided silk scarf, accented with dramatic hand-felted wool tribal patterns, comes direct to the US from the loving hands of Seven Sisters of Kyrgyzstan. Seven Sisters is a family business carrying on a long-standing tradition of working with silk and merino wool to create gorgeous clothing and accessories that will make you stand out from the crowd. Clicking on the "Visit Shop" button will take you to the HoonArts Fair Trade shop where you can purchase this item and see what other one-of-a-kind and small artist's edition treasures are currently in stock.$130.00 Shop: HoonArts Fair Trade
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Wall Art, Art Quilts, Niche, Art Quilts Niche, Textiles, Dots, Green, Modern, Silk, Method, Embroidered, Quilted, Sewn, Provenance, Americas, USANestlings Series Quilt Art size: 11” x 17” Working from 5 minute drawings this series of nesty images began to take shape. Cotton and silk fabrics used along with embroidery and beads.$180.00
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Table Top, Mugs and Cups, Ceramics, Floral, Green, Nature, Shabby Chic, Yellow, Porcelain, Slab Built, USAA Flower Mug to Start Your Morning Botanic2Ceramic: Mission Style and Nature Inspired Pottery Clicking on the Shop on Etsy button will take you to my Etsy shop. Once there, explore everything I have in stock.$45.00 Shop: Botanic2Ceramic
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Furniture, Hammocks, Garden, For Men, Kids, Fair Trade, Weaving, Blue, Green, Stripes, Cotton, Woven, Americas, MexicoHammock Boutique works with indigenous Mayan families in Mexico. It is a member of the Fair Trade Federation and runs a non-profit, Cielo Foundation, that further assists the families in the region where they work. These hammocks are just a couple of examples of the many styles and colors they carry. Visit their website for the full catalog.$90.00
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Wall Art, Mixed Media Art, Green, Rustic, Fiber, Wool, Dyed, Embroidered, Americas, USAAmy Sunshine Designs - Contemporary embroidery, hoop art, and felted home décor. This listing links to my shop on Etsy where you can see what I have in stock. If this item has been sold, ask me about creating something similar. I am open to custom made orders! Click on the Shop on Etsy button to visit.$99.00 Shop: Amy Sunshine Designs
Quickview All Products, To Wear, Clothing, Pants, Green, White, Synthetic, Dyed, Printed, Sewn, Americas, USAclick on the VISIT Color Creek button to see what Mary has in stock for colors and sizes$180.00 Shop: ColorCreek
Quickview All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Elements, Blue, Green, Materials, Silk, Wool, Method, Knitted, Provenance, Americas, USA
Blended Blues Infinity ScarfWool and silk blend infinity scarf in blues and greens with yellow, brown, and purple accents Temari balls and fine handknits by India Tresselt. www.yarndancevt.com This listing on Artizan Made links over to my shop on Etsy. You will be able to see what I have in stock there.