This contest is now over.
Welcome to our July 2016 Green Photo Contest!
Our Artizan Made contests are a regular event on our site. We are now doing a series focused on colors, where the dominant color of the image is the contest theme. Sign up to get our blog posts by email (on the sidebar) if you would like to be notified when the next one goes live. See the past ones here: Photo Contests.
This contest’s theme has to have something handmade in the image and the dominant color of the image needs to be green.
Vintage is allowed.
Get in the mood for green with this fun JibJab video:
A world without green would be a dead one…. We think of Nature, of course, when we talk about green, but there are many other meanings in how we use the word: being eco minded but also, green refers to money, being inexperienced, and envy, while the use of the color carries significance in many religious and social celebrations around the world.
Religious & Mythological Associations With The Color Green
- In several religions, green is the color associated with resurrection and regeneration.
- Green is the color of love associated with both Venus, the Roman goddess and Aphrodite, the Greek goddess.
- The prophet Mohammed wore a green cloak and turban.
- The God of fertility in Celtic myths was associated with green.
- Green is the color associated with Sunday in the Catholic church and the altar cloth is usually green for Sunday services.
- Green is the color that represents Irish-Catholics, while orange represents Irish-Protestants.
See many other interesting tidbits about the color green on Sensational Color.
Focus on Handmade
We want to see Green + Handmade in this contest. A couple of examples:
Show off YOUR green!
Read the Rules!!!
and then scroll down to the contest area.
You are allowed to photoshop your image and make it into art. In other words, you can manipulate the photo in any way you want, but the dominant color of the photo needs to be green, showing something handmade. No collages. (Image needs to be one seamless image.)
1200 pixels square, saved as a jpeg at 72 dpi.
Please make your image square! Images are cropped to a square automatically, so you might lose important visual info if it is a rectangle.
- Anyone is welcome to participate. Each participant can submit two photos.
- You must have the right to the photos you post. (Ex: If you did not take the photo, you must have permission from the photographer to use it, unless you are using a copyright free image to manipulate a photo.) Show off YOUR work!
- We retain the right to delete any photo that is poorly done or inappropriate for a family audience. Please note the size of the image. We will delete blurry and poorly cropped images. Make it nice!
- After submitting the photo, it will be held for approval and then posted on this page.
- There is a text field for a one liner when you submit. You can add more text to the image on Facebook once we post it there.
- Submissions will be added several times a day to this album on our Facebook page: ArtizanMade
- Deadline for submissions: July 23rd, 10PM Central US time.
- Anyone can vote by clicking on the heart on up to ten photos. Just hover and click the heart.
- Help your favorites win by sharing their photos with your peeps.
- Deadline for voting: July 24th, 10PM Central US time
- Winners: First and second places will be determined by the number of votes. If the same person wins twice in a row, the next one will be picked. If there is a tie, both will be given the same place.
- First place winner will be given a one year ad on TAFA: The Textile and Fiber Art List. Second place wins a one month ad.
Contest Starts Here:
The upload link and timer will show up when the contest goes live and then disappear when it is over.
To vote, hover over the image and click on the heart.
Problems? Email rayela @ comcast.net. (remove spaces)
Thank you for participating in our contest! This has been a great way to interact with our community. Our sister site, TAFA: The Textile and Fiber Art List, also holds one photo contest a month with textile/fiber related themes. That is also open to the public and contests are announced on the blog. Contests there start on the 5th of every month.
Artizan Made is a collective of handmade shops. Learn more on our About and Join pages. Most of our shops sell on Etsy, but we also support stand-alone sites. Explore our site, get inspired and support handmade!
Get some GREEN from our new Market!
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Table Top, Bowls, Glass, Weddings, Elements, Green, Modern, Materials, Glass-Material, Method, Blown, Provenance, Americas, USAClick on the Shop on Etsy button to visit my shop there. You will see all of my available stock.$90.00 Shop: ElliottGlassArt
Quickview All Products, To Wear, Clothing, Tops, Jackets, Niche, For Women, Fair Trade, Folk Art, Textiles, Tribal Art, Weaving, Elements, Blue, Boho, Green, Materials, Cotton, Fiber, Silk, Method, Dyed, Sewn, Woven, Provenance, Asia, TajikistanHand-Woven Silk/Cotton Ikat Kimono Jacket- Blue & Green Eco-Dyes Clicking on the "Visit Shop" button will take you to the HoonArts Fair Trade shop where you can purchase this item and see what other one-of-a-kind and small artist's edition treasures are currently in stock.$130.00 Shop: HoonArts Fair Trade
Quickview All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Elements, Dots, Green, Silk, Dyed, Provenance, Americas, USADyed with osage and indigo, this silk organza scarf has cotton balls woven into the weft to create a polka dot pattern. Very soft, comfortable, and washable. Dimensions: 66" Long, 18" Wide Click on the Visit button to go to my Jane Porter Fashion Shop.$45.00 Shop: Jane Porter Fashion
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Wall Art, Mixed Media Art, Vintage, Elements, Green, Rustic, Materials, Fiber, Linen, Embroidered, Felted, Provenance, Americas, USAAmy Sunshine Designs - Contemporary embroidery, hoop art, and felted home décor. This listing links to my shop on Etsy where you can see what I have in stock. If this item has been sold, ask me about creating something similar. I am open to custom made orders! Click on the Shop on Etsy button to visit.$119.00 Shop: Amy Sunshine Designs
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Table Top, Plates, Platters, Niche, Ceramics, Elements, Floral, Green, Mission Style, Nature, Rustic, Zen, Materials, Clay, Stoneware, Method, Slab Built, Provenance, Americas, USAServe in Style with your Woodland Maple Leaf Platter Botanic2Ceramic: Mission Style and Nature Inspired Pottery Clicking on the Shop on Etsy button will take you to my Etsy shop. Once there, explore everything I have in stock.$50.00 Shop: Botanic2Ceramic
Quickview All Products, To Wear, Jewelry, Necklaces, Niche, Elements, Green, Make It, Beads, Materials, Gemstone, Method, Carved, Provenance, Asia, AfghanistanAfghan Tribal Arts has been importing from Afghanistan and the region since the 1980's. The focus is on vintage textiles and tribal jewelry as well as new gemstone beads made for jewelry designers. Clicking on the Shop on Etsy button will take you to our shop there where you can see what is currently in stock.$22.00 Shop: Afghan Tribal Arts
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Throws, Niche, Kids, Kid's Bedding, Textiles, Weaving, Elements, Beach-Resort-Water, Green, Stripes, Materials, Wool, Method, Woven, Provenance, Europe, United Kingdom, ScotlandThis Scribble lap throw is handwoven in lambswool and finished with a twisted fringe.$310.00 Shop: Bonny Claith by Cally Booker
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Garden, Table Top, Bowls, Niche, For Men, Kids, Decorative, Ceramics, Elements, Green, Stripes, Materials, Clay, Method, Thrown, Provenance, Americas, USAClicking on the Shop on Etsy Button below will take you to my Etsy Shop. Once there, explore what I have available. Like something from my SOLD listings? Ask! I may have a similar piece in my studio!$30.00 Shop: ClayLickCreekPottery
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Table Top, Bowls, Niche, For Men, Glass, Elements, Green, Modern, Zen, Materials, Glass-Material, Method, Blown, Provenance, Americas, USAClick on the Shop on Etsy button to visit my shop there. You will see all of my available stock.$75.02 Shop: ElliottGlassArt
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Table Top, Bowls, Niche, Ceramics, Elements, Blue, Dots, Floral, Green, Zen, Materials, Clay, Method, Thrown, Provenance, Americas, USA, Under $30Clicking on the Shop on Etsy Button below will take you to my Etsy Shop. Once there, explore what I have available. Like something from my SOLD listings? Ask! I may have a similar piece in my studio!$25.00 Shop: ClayLickCreekPottery
Quickview All Products, Home and Office, Art Dolls and Creatures, Niche, Kids, Decorative, Toys, Folk Art, Native American-Western, Tribal Art, Elements, Black, Brown, Green, Spirituality, Materials, Fiber, Method, Carved, Painted, Provenance, Americas, USAClick on the Shop on Etsy button to visit my shop there.$145.00 Shop: Steel Goat Studio
Quickview All Products, To Wear, Accessories, Scarves, Niche, For Women, Upcycled, Elements, Floral, Green, Materials, Silk, Method, Painted, Sewn, Provenance, Americas, USACoral and mint green flowers on vintage silk kimono fabric are made into a scarf that can go with navy, cream, white and pink fashions. Versatile, it can be tied in several ways to create different looks. Washable, soft, comfortable and easy care. Great for spring, summer and resort/cruise wear. Dimensions: 65" Long, 5.5" wide Click on the Visit button to go to my Jane Porter Fashion Shop.$40.00 Shop: Jane Porter Fashion